Hi there friends,
I have a couple of questions for you… Are you struggling with your quiet time? Have you been going through the same routine each time you sit down to study God’s Word for so long that you are at a loss as to what you can do differently? Do you desperately want a fresh word from God but don’t know what to do to receive it? Do you cringe at the thought that just maybe your quiet time has become stale?
Well my friend, don’t be discouraged or feel guilty at the thought that your quiet time isn’t exciting & filled with feeling the Presence of God! Please know…YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! I’ve been there and I know many others have been there too and I promise you it doesn’t have to stay that way! It just takes a little bit of thinking outside the box of your normal routine to freshen things up a bit.
As we enter the summer season where kids will be home, embrace the fact that your “normal” routine may be disrupted a bit. Take the change in routine of normal daily life as a chance to shake up your quiet time. If you do, I promise you your time with God will be reignited with a new excitement. As I prepare for a change in my routine now that the kids are home here are a few ways I will reignite excitement in my quiet time.
9 Ways to Reignite Excitement into your Quiet Time
- Find a different place to have your quiet time – I normally like to sit in my den with a cup of coffee and have my quiet time but with the kids home it won’t be very quiet. Starting Friday morning I will take my coffee, bible & journal out to the deck for some early morning moments in God’s Word.
- Play praise & worship music or instrumental music – I love to listen to instrumental music like David Nevue on Pandora while reading my Bible or writing in my journal. There are also some days when I just don’t have the time to sit and read or study God’s Word but I have a dog who must get a walk each day :-). On those days when time is tight, I will listen to Christy Nockles, Hillsong or Passion Radio while on my walk.
- Look up verses on a specific topic – Is there a specific topic you have been struggling with? Look it up in a concordance and read and study the passages that go with that particular subject.
- Pick a person in the Bible and study their life – I am always amazed at how much I learn about myself and God when I do a life study of someone in the Bible. Don’t know where to begin? Hebrews 11 has a great list of Heros of the Faith.
- Study a specific book of the Bible – I personally love the books of Ruth, Ephesians and James.
- Make a list of ways you have seen God work in your life – I’m going to be totally honest here and tell you there are days when I’m just not feeling it. I am stressed and frustrated and don’t understand why God feels so far away. It’s in those times, when my mind and attitude are not where they need to be, that I have to stop and remind myself of all the ways God has worked in my life. Boy is that an attitude adjustment!
- Make a list of thanksgiving – This is yet another way to have a big attitude adjustment! God gives us so much each and everyday. When we stop and thank Him for His gifts our minds and attitudes are reset.
- Journal your prayer – Some days I don’t have room for one more thing in my brain. It’s on those days when I feel overwhelmed that I sit down and write out a prayer sharing the concerns with God.
- Word Art scripture – Let me start by saying I am not creative or artistic but I have enjoyed dabbling in word art a little over the last year. The great thing about writing out scripture this way is that it helps me memorize God’s Word. I will also take a picture of it with my phone and use it as my screen saver. I love seeing God’s Word each time I pick up my phone.
Do you have something you like to do to reignite excitement in your quiet time when it becomes stale? I would love to hear your ideas. You can share them here in the comment section or share on our facebook page.
If you would like to receive The Calm of His Presence in your inbox fill out the box in the right side bar. You will then receive each post quietly in your inbox. You can also follow me & The Calm of His Presence on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
In His Calm,