“The orbit of my life is the place between my two feet.
That is my mission field.” Jill Briscoe
When Jill Briscoe made that statement during If:Gathering my attention stood straight up. My mission field – my pasture – that’s exactly what I have been focusing on this year.
Where do I need to focus more of my attention? Where do I need to plant the seed of God’s Word? What do I need to say NO to in order to say YES to the pasture God has me tending right now?
Do you have these same questions? I don’t think I am the only one who struggles with getting side tracked by the next shiny thing that comes my way. Today I want us to take a look at what it means to serve and tend the pasture of our home.
Let’s first ask the question…
What makes up the pasture of my home?
- household responsibilities
For me, my husband, kids & household responsibilities make up my home. Your list may look like mine or it may look a little different. Yours may include parents, sibling, long-term houseguest, animals or any number of things. The important thing is for us to determine what is included in the pasture of our home and then determine how best to tend it.
That leads us to our next question…
How do we tend/care for the responsibilites of our home?
When looking at the specific areas of your home you can use these questions to help you focus your time and energy.
- How can I bless him?
- Are there needs of his I need to focus on meeting?
- Can I do something to lighten his load?
- Is there something I can do for them to help them feel special?
- How can I show them God’s love?
- In what way can I encourage and build them up today?
- Household duties
- Is there something I’ve been putting off until “someday” that can be done today?
- Make a list of weekly household duties and assign them to specific days of the week.
- In what way can I make the house more inviting when my people come home this afternoon?
Take some time over the next few days to reflect on the pasture of your home. Ask God to show you how He wants you to care for those in your home.
I’d love to hear what makes up the pasture of your home and how you will serve in the pasture of your home. Will you share it with us in the comment section?
In His Calm,
Do you like what you read here? I would hate for you to miss out on anything. Take a few seconds to go to the green “Sign up!” tab on the top right of this page and sign up to receive posts directly into your inbox. I promise I won’t bombard you with lots of emails. And to give you a little heads up… I am working on something special just for my email subscribers. Don’t miss out, sign up today.